Courses, Credit, and Academic Calendar
International Colleges Beijing courses are CU Denver courses. Students earn CU Denver undergraduate credit and courses appear on students’ transcripts as regular CU Denver courses.
Students may stay for a semester, a year, or more taking classes that fulfill elective or major credit. While the foci of the program are for Communication and Economics majors, other course offerings include: English, History, International Studies, Math, Geography, Philosophy, Political Science, Accounting, and Sociology.
All non-Chinese students are required to take Chinese Language (beginning through intermediate) and Contemporary Chinese Culture and Society. Chinese, American, and other international students are integrated in the same classroom giving students the opportunity to experience different viewpoints, create lasting friendships, and develop global contacts.
- Mid-September - Students arrive and start orientation
- Mid-September - Students begin classes
- Late December - Finals
- Mid-February - Students arrive and start orientation
- Late February - Students begin classes
- Early June - Finals
To find out which courses are available through this program, please speak with your Academic Advisor.
Can I Afford It? - ¥E$!
The costs below are per semester during the 2016-2017 academic year.
What this includes:
- Dorm-style accommodations
- Chinese language course
- Program-organized field trips
- International health and emergency evacuation insurance
- International student registration at China Agricultural University
- Chinese health insurance
- $100 starter meal card
- Visa guidance
- Pre-departure and in-country orientations
- Airport pickup for first-semester students
- Support in Beijing and Denver
- Airfare ($1,200-1,800)
- Passport ($160)
- Chinese student visa ($250)
- Travel/trip insurance
- Spending money** ($1,500-2,000)
** When thinking about what you’ll need for spending money, consider the following: public transportation, souvenirs and gifts, most meals, bedding and other items for your room, toiletries, personal travel, clothing, and entertainment.
Scholarships and grants
?These are available to CU Denver students only.
Any of the following scholarships are also applicable towards the Semester in Beijing Program for CU and non-CU Denver students:
- Financial aid packages can be used to cover the costs of this program. CU Denver students who receive financial aid should contact Mary Morales (303.315.1848) at the Office of Financial Aid to discuss their financial aid award for the Semester in Beijing Program.
- Financial aid package is based on fixed costs (tuition and room fees) and non-fixed budget estimate (food purchases, round trip airfare, books/personal expenses)
For more information about CU Denver’s Semester in Beijing, email Asia Study Abroad Coordinator Jessica Tharp or call 303-315-0024.
Life on Campus
Life at the China Agricultural University’s (CAU) International College is rich for both American and Chinese students. CAU campus population of 20,000 is located in the Haidian district, home to Beijing’s best universities. Both American and Chinese students support one another as they refine their language skills, study in group project settings, and share unforgettable international experiences.
CAU’s modern campus features Internet access, cafeterias, classrooms, recreational facilities, open spaces and libraries. All students are enrolled at CAU with full access to all campus amenities while they receive University of Colorado Denver credit.
Students will live on campus in a dorm-style setting complete with shared bedroom, shower, desk, bookcase, and access to the internet.
Throughout the semester students will have the opportunity to participate in tours, excursions, and activities in an around Beijing. The sites may include:
- Great Wall of China
- Tiananmen Square
- Forbidden City
- Birds Nest and Water Cube
- Summer Palace
- Temple of Heaven
- And others…!
For more information about CU Denver’s Semester in Beijing, email Asia Study Abroad Coordinator Jessica Tharp or call 303-315-0024. ???